A Call to Prayer - for Kim Jong-un?

This morning began the way most mornings start around my house:  the dog woke me up to let him outside, I stumbled into the kitchen to start the coffee, and I started glancing through the paper.  For me, that paper is the Washington Post, and it comes directly to my iPad this morning, so I didn’t even have to leave the house to see what had happened in the world while I was asleep.

North Korean missile (AP News)



The top story in the Post, as it was in most papers and on most newscasts this morning, was about the July 4th missile test in North Korea and the combined response of the United States and South Korea.  I learned little new – I had seen the story cross my Facebook newsfeed several times the night before – but this morning something else happened:  I heard from God.




Now, I readily admit this is not a normal occurrence for me, at least not in this form.  While I am a person of deep and abiding faith, my experience of spirituality through the years has not been overly full of conscious revelations and inner promptings.  God often speaks to me through the teachings of Scripture and the sense of peace or discomfort I experience through time in prayer.  This morning, though, there was a “still, small voice,” as they say, in my head.  I read the headline and the first few sentences and the phrase flashed through my head, entirely unbidden:  “Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.”




Kim Jong-un
I wish I could say that my first action upon recognizing those words of Jesus from Matthew 5:44 was to drop to my knees and start lifting up Kim Jong-un, North Korea’s dictator, in prayer.  Honestly, though, I didn’t pay them much mind.  I sat my iPad down, rolled over, and went back to sleep for about 20 minutes.  When I awoke, though, the words kept coming back to me.  “Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.”  Was North Korea my enemy?  I feel for the people of North Korea, but I hold them no personal animosity.  The government in Pyongyang, however, is certainly an adversary of my country and no friend to those who profess Christianity.  It consistently ranks near the top of most surveys of the worst perpetrators of human rights violations in the world, and Open Doors USA, an organization committed to serving the persecuted church, puts it as the number one most oppressive place in the world for Christians.  The supreme leader of the state, Kim Jong-un, promotes a brutality inside the borders of his country and endangers the geopolitical balance in the region in ways that threaten millions.  In recent weeks, given the ongoing oppression highlighted in the tragedy of Otto Warmbier and the ongoing nuclear and missile tests, there can be little doubt that the North Korean regime and its head, Kim Jong Un, are the enemy, not just of the United States, but of much of the rest of the world.  I have no love for the dictator and his minions, none at all.


And then…I hear this word from God.  There’s no debating it – the words are written right there in my Bible, red letters and all.  My calling as a follower of Jesus Christ, and the calling of every Christian, is to love our enemies and pray for those who persecute us.  It’s what Jesus taught.  It’s what he did, even as he hung dying on a cross.  And, according to the story of Saul/Paul on the Damascus Road, it’s what Jesus did when those oppressed were the church.  If I claim to follow Jesus, and I do, don’t I have to at least try to live up to that example?


Indeed I do.  It is my responsibility, my calling as a Christian, to pray for my enemies and those who persecute the innocent and the people of God…even when that enemy is Kim Jong-un.  Eventually, it’s my call to love him – but I’m not there yet.  But I can pray.  I can pray that Kim Jong-un comes to understand that his actions are hurting him and his people in the long run.  I can pray that Kim Jong-un will come to care about others, even those he disagrees with, so that he will stop torturing them and executing them.  I can pray that Kim Jong-un will realize his tremendous responsibility to provide sane and compassionate leadership for his people who suffer under his policies.  I can pray that Kim Jong Un will become aware that there is a better way than missiles and bombs and torture and threats…the way of peace.  And, most of all, I can pray that Kim Jong-un will come to experience Jesus just as Saul once did, because if he does, if he truly does, then God can transform him.  And even if I pray and none of that comes to pass, it will have been effective, because I might just come to love my enemy, as Jesus commands.



Some of the things Jesus commands us to do are almost impossible, things like loving Kim Jong-un.  But can we at least start with something a little simpler?  Can we start by praying for him?


Print it in Moleskine MSK format

Comments