High-earning Avengers

A couple of weeks ago, my wife and I joined some friends to see the new Avengers movie. A fan of the other Marvel movies, I really enjoyed the film, even staying in the theater for the two post-credit scenes. We had a lot of fun at the movie, and enjoyed the time with our friends.

We were hardly the only people who saw the Avengers movie. Our theater was packed, and the movie has always raked in over $1 billion worldwide. When I heard that figure, I was a bit taken aback. $1 billion is a LOT of money! Now, don't get me wrong - it is a pretty good movie, with great special effects and a good chemistry among the ensemble cast. But $1 billion? That's a bit over the top.

What is it in our world that makes us spend $1 billion on a movie, a film for pure entertainment, but not be willing to invest that same money in things that make the world better. Education, feeding programs, digging wells, resolving conflicts, investing in alternative energy, adopting orphans, providing anti-HIV drugs, and any of a thousand other good causes. All of these things make a difference, yet all appear to be consistently underfunded - while we all (myself included!) collectively spend $1 billion to watch a bunch of fictional superheroes fight computer-generated aliens in the skies over New York.

I don't think the Avengers - or other blockbuster movies - are bad. But it was a realization that made me wonder, "Am I spending my money on what really matters? Or am I trying to make a difference with what financial resources I have been given?" I'm not suggesting that it is wrong to spend money on recreation or entertainment - but is it too much?

Perhaps I need to hear again the words of Jesus: "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth...but store up for yourselves treasures in heaven...for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Matt. 6:19-21) Is my treasure invested in the things of heaven, the things that matter to God? Or do I spend too much time investing in the things I consume?

Would Jesus watch "The Avengers" (or any movie)? Maybe. But I'm pretty sure he wouldn't spend $1 billion on it. Maybe we shouldn't, either.

Comments