Can Christians Play Nice Together?

Print it in Moleskine MSK format

 This week, in Phoenix, AZ, the messengers of the Southern Baptist Convention met to worship, work, and witness.  Among their actions was the adoption of a group of resolutions declaring areas of concern to those gathered at the annual meeting.

Three resolutions stood out to me, piquing my curiosity.  The Convention resolved 1) to encourage and honor the historic Baptist commitment to religious liberty for all; 2) to denounce a recent book by Michigan pastor Rob Bell questioning aspects of the evangelical church’s teaching on hell, with the SBC instead boldly affirming a vision of hell as eternal, conscious punishment; and 3) to oppose the publication of a new NIV translation on the basis of theological differences, to the point of asking pastors to discourage its use and encouraging Lifeway (the SBC’s bookstore) to pull the NIV 2011 from its shelves.

As an outside observer, the overarching question I have is, “Why can’t Christians extend the same religious liberty to each other as they extend to those of another (or no) faith?”  I applaud the religious liberty resolution, especially in today’s highly-charged religious landscape.  Yet I question both the tone and the necessity of the Rob Bell and NIV resolutions.  Can Christians really not allow each other a difference of opinion?  Do we have to denounce, actively oppose, and even sabotage the works of others simply because we do not agree?

I have read Rob Bell’s book.  I do not agree with each and every word he writes in it.  Yet I do appreciate the questions he raises and the dialogue he invites.  I don’t have to agree with everything.  Nor do I have to denounce him in the areas on which we disagree.  At least he has the courage to question – do I?







Likewise, the NIV 2011 does not need to be denounced.  It is one translation among many; if you do not like it, DON’T USE IT!  Others may use this translation and draw closer to God.  Why would any Christian want to sabotage that?



At the end of the day, Christians don’t play well together when we disagree.  It’s been that way for a long time.  I wonder, though, what Jesus would say?  I am reminded of the Lord’s words as he prayed for his followers:

“I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you.  Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name, the name you gave me, so that they may be one as we are one.” – John 17:11

This prayer, identical in all versions of the NIV, should be what we all as Christians should aspire for:  unity in love and freedom under the Lordship of Jesus Christ.  Why would we want anything different?
In Christ,
Adam

Comments